Privacy Notice: How Your Information Is Shared
How your information is shared so that this practice can meet legal requirements
The law requires The Ridgeway Surgery to share information from your medical records in certain circumstances. Information is shared so that the NHS or Public Health England can, for example:
- plan and manage services;
- check that the care being provided is safe;
- prevent infectious diseases from spreading.
We will share information with NHS Digital, the Care Quality Commission and local health protection team (or Public Health England) when the law requires us to do so. Please see below for more information.
We must also share your information if a court of law orders us to do so.
- NHS Digital is a national body which has legal responsibilities to collect information about health and social care services.
- It collects information from across the NHS in England and provides reports on how the NHS is performing. These reports help to plan and improve services to patients.
- This practice must comply with the law and will send data to NHS Digital, for example, when it is told to do so by the Secretary of State for Health or NHS England under the Health and Social Care Act 2012.
- More information about NHS Digital and how it uses information can be found here
Care Quality Commission (CQC)
- The CQC regulates health and social care services to ensure that safe care is provided.
- The law says that we must report certain serious events to the CQC, for example, when patient safety has been put at risk.
- For more information about the CQC by click here
- The law requires us to share data for public health reasons, for example to prevent the spread of infectious diseases or other diseases which threaten the health of the population.
- We will report the relevant information to local health protection team or Public Health England.
- For more information about Public Health England and disease reporting please click here
We are required by law to provide you with the following information about how we handle your information and our legal obligations to share data
|Data Controller contact details||The Ridgeway Surgery, 1 Mount Echo Avenue, Chingford E4 7JX|
|Data Protection Officer contact details||tbc|
|Purpose of the processing||Compliance with legal obligations or court order.|
|Lawful basis for processing||
The following sections of the GDPR mean that we can share information when the law tells us to.
|Recipient or categories of recipients of the processed data||
|Rights to object and the national data opt-out||
There are very limited rights to object when the law requires information to be shared but government policy allows some rights of objection as set out below.
The national data op-out model provides you with an easy way of opting-out of identifiable data being used for health service planning and research purposes, including when it is shared by NHS Digital for these reasons. To opt-out or to find out more about your opt-out choices please click here
Care Quality Commission
|Right to access and correct||
|Retention period||GP medical records will be kept in line with the law and national guidance. Information on how long records are kept can be found on the NHS Digital website or speak to the practice.|
|Right to complain||You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office. If you wish to complain please click here or call the helpline 0303 123 1113|
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.